What (almost) everybody gets wrong about refugees
That’s the topic that IKEA Foundation CEO Per Heggenes will talk to Alexander Betts and Ola Rosling about this coming Thursday, 25 June at 3:00pm CET (9:00am EDT)
Do you think you know your facts about refugees?
Alexander Betts is Professor of Forced Migration and International Affairs, and William Golding Senior Fellow in Politics at Brasenose College, at the University of Oxford.
He served as Director of the Refugee Studies Centre between 2014 and 2017. His research focuses mainly on refugee assistance, with a focus on Africa.
He is a World Economic Forum Young Global Leader, was named by Foreign Policy magazine in the top 100 global thinkers of 2016, and his TED talks have been viewed by over 3 million people. He has previously worked for UNHCR and has served as a Councilor on the World Refugee Council.
He currently leads the IKEA Foundation-funded Refugee Economies Programme.
Ola Rosling is President & Co-Founder of Gapminder Foundation which he founded together with his wife, Anna, and his father, Hans.
Since 1999 Ola has been working on the development of trend analysis software which was eventually acquired by Google in 2007.
In 2011 Ola and Anna returned to Gapminder to develop free teaching materials for a fact-based worldview. In 2014 Ola coined the term Factfulness, which Gapminder is now promoting in order to make the education about Sustainable Development less ideological and more fact-based.
Where can I watch the session?
What’s coming up?
Want to catch up on our recent sessions?
- Kenneth Lavelle, Deputy Director of Operations from Médecins Sans Frontières
- Harish Hande, Founder and CEO of SELCO Foundation
- Jessy Tolkan, Purpose Climate Lab and Jessie Macneil-Brown, Ingka Group
- Sarah Klassen from Start Network and Jon Stone from Risk-informed Early Action Partnership (REAP)
- Willy Foote, Founder and CEO and Katie Naeve, Director of Impact Partnerships at Root Capital
- Jesper Brodin, CEO of Ingka Group
- Willem Ferwerda, Commonland and Sharla Halvorson, Inter IKEA Group
- Barri Shorey, International Rescue Committee