The Swiss IKEA co-workers – Sabine, Chantal, Colin and Theres – have been back home from our fantastic IWitness trip to Bangladesh for a week. Many of our thoughts are still in Bangladesh and we can’t stop thinking of….
– …the fact that this trip made the world feel so much smaller and Bangladesh so much closer to us.
– …that it felt like we were gone for so much longer than one week and that you can get so many new impressions and so much inspiration in such a short time.
– …the tasty food which we of course ate as the locals do, with our right hand.
– …the hard reality many children are facing working to earn money to support their families.
– …the confidence and lust for life which we sensed among the people.
– …how strongly we wish that every child in the world could get the chance to be a child, to receive an education and the opportunity to make the best out of their lives.
– …the kids wearing the biggest smiles and aspiring to be teachers, pilots and engineers!
– …the fact that it’s quite normal for a family with seven people to live in a room not bigger than 5 square metres.
– …that we didn’t fell off the rickshaws or mini taxis in the crazy traffic situation in Dhaka.
– …all the colours, while being back to a Switzerland in winter where everyone’s favourite colour seems to be black.
– …our gratefulness that we were able to be part of this trip and life-changing experience.
– …the huge importance the donations from the IKEA Foundation and Save the Children’s work do for the children in Bangladesh, providing them with education for a better future.
/ Chantal Rütsche, Colin Ward, Sabine Wagner & Theres Wirell